Almond Cranberry Buttermilk Scones
Made from scratch scones are perfect for breakfast, or snacking.
APPLE CRANBERRY BUTTERMILK SCONES
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp. butter, chilled
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cups dried cranberries
- 2/3 cups Gurley’s sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut butter into ½ inch pieces and distribute over the flour mixture.
- With a pastry blender cut in butter to flour mixture until it resembles small crumbs.
- In a small bowl, stir together buttermilk, egg and vanilla.
- Add liquid to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Add cranberries and almonds to mixture and stir or knead in.
- With lightly floured hands, pat the dough into an 8-inch diameter circle on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- With a serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until top is lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Cut wedges apart and transfer to rack to cool further.